This is a Brussels sprout.
I think they are a beautiful, tasty vegetable, but apparently, it has a bad reputation (especially with children).
I hope you'll give up your preconceived notions regarding Brussels sprouts and just give the poor, little guys a try. These oven roasted beauties are actually very tasty (especially served with venison steaks).
Roasted Parmesan Crusted Brussels Sprouts with Fingerling Potatoes
1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
1 pound Brussels sprouts
2 Tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash potatoes and Brussels sprouts well. Trim brown ends off of Brussels sprouts and remove any yellowed outer leaves.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Once the water has begun to boil, add the potatoes. Return to a boil, and boil for one minute. Then, add the Brussels sprouts to the boiling water as well, and boil for 3 minutes.
5. Drain the potatoes and Brussels sprouts well, and arrange them in a single layer on the parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Drizzle the butter or olive oil over top, and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove baking sheet from oven, and turn the oven to broil. Sprinkle the potatoes and Brussels sprouts with the Parmesan cheese.
8. Broil for 2 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts begin to brown. Serve immediately.