Another small batch recipe was in order when my husband and I recently celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. I wanted to make him some goodies, just not too many of them!
Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Frosting
Yield: 1 dozen cookies
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 - 2 Tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together sugar and coconut oil. Mix in yogurt and vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the medium bowl and mix well.
4. Shape the dough into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for an hour or more. This will make the dough easier to handle for rolling out.
5. Once the dough is firm, place it on a floured surface and roll it out to 1/4" thick. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out the cookies and place them a couple inches apart on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove cookies from oven, and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for one minute. Then, remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. While cookies are cooling, prepare frosting: cream butter on medium speed for a minute, then gradually add the powdered sugar and mix on low until combined. Increase speed to medium, and add the vanilla and 1/2 Tablespoon milk. If frosting is too thick, add more milk, 1/2 Tablespoon at a time, until it reaches desired consistency.
8. Once cookies are cooled, frost and enjoy.